Friday 26 July 2013

Coconut fried quinoa and grilled chicken







Hello everyone,

How is it going? It is mid week already and I am sure you guys can not wait for the weekend. I am coming to you today with a quick quinoa recipe. Like I posted on my Instagram one time, you have to be creative with food when it comes to eating healthy. Like I told someone, think of what you like and create a healthy version of it. I love anything coconut. I use coconut water in my smoothies, I use coconut oil to cook, (I will do a post on the benefits of coconut in your diet) and I thought why not try coconut quinoa and see how it turns out. It is so easy to get bored while maintaining a healthy lifestyle hence the need to get creative and try different stuff in your kitchen. I do loads of trial and error, some are painful to eat while some turn out great! I usually try to dig to the bottom of the painful recipes and find out what I did wrong and try it again. Anyway unto the recipe for today;


I used:
  • half a cup of quinoa;
  • half a cup of coconut milk;
  • half a cup of mixed veggies;
  • 6 pieces of raw shrimps  cut into smaller pieces;
  • a tsp of soy sauce;
  • chili pepper;
  • cucumbers;
  • one piece of chicken breast;
  • one garlic clove;
  • spice - salt & maggi to taste;

Method:
  • marinate chicken with  half of the garlic clove (keep the other half for your quinoa mixture), salt, maggi, parsley, and some ground pepper. Set aside for some minutes or hours depending on how much time you have;
  • in a clean pot, add half cup of coconut milk and half cup of water; once the liquid is boiling, add the quinoa to cook for about 15 - 20 mins. I find that quinoa takes a while to boil so I make sure I start boiling it way before I begin the sauce to go with it;
  • proceed to grill chicken at a low temperature for about 10 minutes on each side; 
  • in a frying pan or wok, (I used a frying pan) add the raw shrimps and cook till it starts to turn pink; at this point you can add the garlic, spices, cucumbers, soy sauce and stir;
  • Add the mixed veggies after about 5 minutes and continue stirring.


  • add a little bit of soy sauce and salt for some added taste;
  • pour in the already boiled coconut quinoa, stir, and leave it to simmer for about 5 minutes; 
  • serve with chicken!



It is delish! I should give myself credit considering that I did not get to taste it while I was preparing it. I had a fork right after I broke my fast and I couldn't wait to eat it all. I would like to know if anyone tries this at home and please feel free to make any additions and substitutions. Feedbacks are highly appreciated, thanks for stopping by.

Until next time,
Its not Miss Bee, its Mummy..xxx

3 comments:

Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate all of your support. I would like for you to share your thoughts with me...