Tuesday 23 July 2013

Sweet tooth cravings: Larabar







Hello everyone,

I want to say a big thank you for the positive response on Carmen's weight loss story, I know she is such an inspiration and I hope to share more stories with you guys. I am on a roll lately as I am going all out with this lifestyle change and it is very interesting! Yesterday, I made some larabars. It is not a surprise when a healthy food junkie gets some cravings for something sweet. What matters the most is how you satisfy that craving and you can not go wrong with  these. It contains all natural sugars derived from its ingredients and no additional sugar is needed. Also, they are healthy energy bars made from pure minimal ingredients. 

I used:
  • almond flakes (one handful);
  • sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut (one handful)
  • 2 tsp of cocoa powder;
  • walnut crumbs (one handful);
  • half-cup of dates;
  • one tsp chia seeds; (optional and you can use any type of seeds you wish )


Method:
  • In a food processor, combine almond flakes, shredded coconut, walnut crumbs and dates. Mix together until all ingredients are incorporated into each other (I used my blender cos I don't have a food processor but I reckon it would be easier and less messier with a food processor); 
  • Please bear in mind that at this point your mixture will be sticky which is totally fine.
  • add 2 tsps of cocoa powder;
  • mix for another few minutes to incorporate the cocoa powder ;
  • place mixture on a parchment or wax paper and sprinkle chia seeds on top of it (i used foil cos I forgot to get parchment paper);
  • use a rolling pin, clean bottle or heavy pan to roll out the mixture to give it an even surface;


  • place in the freezer to firm it up for 30  minutes;
  • once it is firm, bring it out, cut into desired portions and enjoy. Wrap the cut portions up separately in a wax or parchment paper;
  • You can store this at room temperature for a couple of weeks or store in the fridge for longer shelf life. 







You can also switch up the ingredients as you like, add some peanut butter or almond butter or cashew nuts. Larabars come in different flavours. For me, I will skip the cocoa part next time and see how it turns out. I will definitely be making more of these and I wont hesitate to try other fruits and nuts for variety. I will like to see your variations and substitutes if you try this at home. Please comment, follow, and spread the word. Living a healthy lifestyle is so easy and worth it. Thanks for stopping by :)

Until next time guys,
Its not Miss Bee, its Mummy..xx

4 comments:

  1. I honestly need to get on healthy living! Honestly I think the challenge is really that the "unhealthy" ones have more affordable prices and just seem to be more "everywhere" than the healthy ones! Brrrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well true, but you can start with the little things like substituting white bread for whole wheat bread or white pasta for whole wheat pasta. Buy avocado instead of cheese, grill your chicken as opposed to frying it. Buy more veggies and ditch the processed foods and gradually you build up on it. At the end of the day the cost wont be an issue cos you are replacing your regular diet with healthier stuff so it balances out.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate all of your support. I would like for you to share your thoughts with me...