Tuesday 20 August 2013

Healthy alternatives to regular rice

Hello everyone,

How is it going? I hope everyone is having a great week so far. I have been holidaying with family and having fun hence the reason why I have not put up a post recently. I want to share some healthy alternatives to rice. Growing up, rice was a staple in my house and also the fact that I am Nigerian does not help it either. It became a favourite food of mine and I would eat it everyday. Fast forward to when I made the transition into living healthy, it became a challenge for me to cut out rice. I thought it was impossible but I was wrong and I am glad that I found out other alternatives to rice. Most of the alternatives cook just like rice but are packed with protein high in fibre and have low glycemic index. 

  • Brown rice - Brown rice is a better option as it contains a lower glycemic index and less processed as opposed to white rice which is great for our health. Though cooking it is not as convenient as cooking white rice because it takes longer to boil, but some other benefits of brown rice which make the cooking process worthwhile include: helping to prevent cancer; maintains a healthy bowel function as it is high in fibre; it helps to control blood sugar level; it helps to keep bone healthy; it helps to lower bad cholesterol. I was on the edge about brown rice the first time I tried it but I get better at cooking it and the taste gets better every time I have it and it has become a staple in my home. I switch it up when I do not feel like having basmati rice;
  • Cauliflower rice - This is made from cauliflower florets. A simple food processor or grater will do the job and your cauliflower rice will be ready in minutes. It can also be used as a main or side dish. I tried this for the first time during Ramadan and was skeptical especially because I am not a huge fan of cauliflower but it came out great. I couldnt believe I was eating cauliflower.
  • Quinoa pronounced keen-wa- It is a grain-like food that provides complete protein to support one's nutritional needs. The most common type of quinoa is the white one but it also comes in red and black. Quinoa cooks just like rice and can be used as a main dish or side dish, it can also be used in salads. You can also check out my post on coconut fried quinoa recipe here
  • Bulgur wheat - I found out about this healthy alternative on Instagram and I started my research on it. It is made just the same way as rice is made but healthier than rice. It is packed with proteins, fibre which is great because it will leave you feeling full for a longer period of time. It is high in iron and has similar health benefits with brown rice and can also be used as a side dish or a main dish. It can also be added to salad.
  • Basmati rice - It is a healthier alternative to regular rice and lighter. It does not have as much calories and also contains a lower glycemix index. It is low in fat and gluten free! A great option for people who can not have gluten cereals and grains in their diet.

These are some good alternatives to regular rice and a great way to cut on your rice diet and also to incorporate more proteins and fibre in your meals. You can get creative with them and cook them to suit to your taste buds using healthy food stuff of cause :) I would like for you guys to share with me recipes you have come up with using these healthy alternatives to regular rice. Please feel to hash tag (#santedelevie) on Instagram and also send me your recipes to santedelavie@gmail.com and I will be more than happy to post them. Thanks for stopping by, I really do appreciate the support and love :)

Until next time guys,
Its not Miss Bee, its Mummy..xx

2 comments:

  1. I have tried to love brown Rice...the relationship is just not working! Lol...you can imagine how hard it is for a Nigerian to give up Rice...ugh, such a struggle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha @ the relationship is just not working. It took a couple of tries to be on board with it and yes! giving up rice was one of the hardest things for me. It is just so easy and convenient...

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate all of your support. I would like for you to share your thoughts with me...